Friday, April 25, 2014

The Color Series

Purple Tulips                    2014                       j. c. phillipps

Red Cherry Pie                     2014                     j. c. phillipps

Orange Goldfish                    2014                      j. c. phillipps

Yellow Tree                       2014                         j. c. phillipps

Green Pears                     2014                    j. c. phillipps

Light Blue Tea Cup                    2014                    j. c. phillipps

Dark Blue Uniforms                      2014                 j. c. phillipps

Grey Goose                           2014                     j. c. phillipps


You may have noticed that I haven't posted any art for awhile.  That's because I've been working on this series, The Color Series, and I wanted to post them all at once.

I got the idea for this series when I was organizing my papers.  I was being ambitious and trying to organize them by color.  Well, I have far too many sheets of paper.  It would take me forever.  But I started it nonetheless.  So I found myself staring a groups of reds and groups of yellows thinking, These look really pretty altogether.

I needed an idea for the library show I was doing in June, and BLAMO - the color series was born!

Some ideas came immediately.  I just pictured school uniforms when I thought of dark blue.  Others were labored.  I had a million ideas for red and switched and switched and switched until I saw a picture of cherry pie and thought Perfect!

They are all the same size, all framed exactly the same, and I think they'll look pretty sharp lined up side by side on the white library wall in Simsbury.  (I'll take a picture when I have the show hung.)

It's a great relief to have this project done, as I am going into a big three weeks of author appearances and travel.  And since my mother is coming for a visit, I have to clean the studio.  Now I can pack up this series and tuck it all away until it's ready for the show.

Thanks so much for stopping in!  I hope I brought a little color into your day!
Have a great weekend!



2 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Beautiful serie, Julie!
Sorry for being away for a while.

Julie_c said...

Hi Lucia - Always so nice to hear from you! Thanks so much for your lovely comment!