Thursday, May 29, 2014

Style Choices


One of the stories that I am working on now has only one word: jump.  Without going into it too much, the main character, the little girl above, jumps through a bunch of scenarios.

My agent and I showed it to a few houses which liked it - but passed. 

Since there's not much writing - that can't be the issue.  The story - in my opinion - is solid.  So that leaves the art.  People aren't falling in love with the art.  Therefore, I must change the art.

You may ask, Hey Julie, why don't you just do more collage art, like your other books?

Well, my agent has been showing my collage art to art directors to try to book me illustration gigs and we have discovered that many art directors do not like collage.  That's a bit of a problem.  So I've been trying to branch out.

Another problem is that I LOVE so many different styles of art - I don't know what to focus on. 
How stylized do I want it? 
Do I focus on watercolor or digital? 
How much line do I want?

I've been looking for inspiration and finding a TON!  So I decided I simply needed to spend some time making a crap-load of art and see what sticks.  That's what you see above.

But now I have another problem, I kind of like it all, but I'm not IN LOVE with any of it. 

Some of that can simply be I haven't worked enough in any of the styles above to really perfect them, and once I get a whole week or two working in a style and figuring out the colors I like and some of the technical kinks - I could make some cool discoveries and fall in love.  But which style?!

For now, I have sent my samples to my agent and await his feedback.  In the meantime, I'll work on something else.

How are you all doing?

Thanks so much for stopping in to my scrambed brain/blog!




3 comments:

shirley said...

Love the upper left. Not that you asked ;-)

Julie_c said...

Thanks, Shirley. Everyone who gave me feedback preferred that one as well! The people have spoken!

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie, thanks for updating.
Yes, the upper left seems more like you.