Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Racerback Dress

I like to wear dresses in the summer.  They're comfortable and airy.  The problem I have is finding casual summer dresses - too often you look like you're going to a cocktail party.

I also like built-in bra's.  Summer dresses are strappy and I hate having bra straps poking out.

I love stores like Athleta that mix active clothes and style because they often have built in bras - but, they are also a little pricey.  (And sometimes the dresses still look too dressy.)

Inspired by the tutorials I was seeing on Pinterest, I decided that the only solution was to simply make exactly what I wanted.  So I did.  Here it is:



I bought 2 yards of cotton jersey at $5.99/yd from fabric.com.  I traced the pattern from a dress that I  owned and liked the fit.  And I made a built-in bra from the tutorial here.

It probably took me about 4 - 5 hours, start-to-finish, but I took my time and did a lot of fittings.  I am really happy with the result.  It's light.  It's comfy.  No bra straps.  And I think it looks nice and casual.

I have more jersey so I'm going to make a least one more - although I'll probably try to shake up the pattern a bit.  A girl like a little variety, yanno.  But then again - maybe I won't!  Who knows!

In other news, it's the first day of art camp - exciting!  I'm sure I'll have pics of my little lovelies soon.

Thanks so much for stopping in!  Have a great day!


No comments: