Sunday, July 20, 2014

Art Camp: African Adventure

Another week of art camp is complete!  Boo-ya!

The class was over-filled with 13 artists, and Magoo started his own camp this week, so I was short a helper.  YOWZA - did I feel it.

Still, I had some fabulous young artists in the group and we had a lot of fun.  Here are some highlights.

The kids always love dipping the rice paper squares into the dyes to create a batik effect.


In years past, I had the kids do Zomo rabbit masks, but this year I switched up the design and added rafia.  They looked great!


I'm always attracted to African textiles and patterns so I only did one animal project.  Note for next year: the kids want more animals.  But they did make some fabulous watercolor guineafowl.



See - here's what I'm talking about with the textiles and patterns.  The kids did a great job, but 50% were getting bored painting stripes, so I'll have to shake this one up for next year.


Now we enter the final week: Native American Wonders.  This is the first time I've done a fourth week and all the Native American projects are new this year!  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  It's a gorgeous day outside, so I think I'll go out and play frisbee with my menfolk.






No comments: