Saturday, September 27, 2014

DIY: Maleficent Headpiece


This year for Halloween, Magoo decided he wanted to be the Grim Reader with a store bought costume.  In which case, I figured I could spend my crafty hours making a costume for myself.  Since I already own a black cape and the Angelina Jolie Maleficent came out this summer, I thought I'd be trendy.

I'll admit to being a little apprehensive about it before I started.  Curvy horns can be challenging.  But this actually only took me a few days and I could do all of it while binge watching Project Runway, so it was all good.

If you want to give it a go, here's how I did it.

Supplies:
Balloon
Masking tape
paper (I used lunch sacks)
gel medium (although you can use good ol' flour and water)
plastic cups and card stock
black paint
black lava texture gels (for shine.  You can use glossy Modge Podge) optional
latex gloves (optional)

I started by taking a measurement of my head and making a little "skull cap" with white masking tape.  (I doubled it up so it wasn't sticking to my head.)  You'll want a good fit so the big horns don't wobble.  Then I inflated a balloon half way and stuck it inside the "skull cap."  I inflated it the rest of the way - so it was my head shape - then tied it off.

I taped it to a small container to keep it upright.


I like a nice ripped up lunch sack for a good paper maché base.  It's important to rip the pieces, as opposed to cutting them with scissors, because when you rip the paper, you get a tapered edge that lies smooth on the other layers.  If you cut the paper, you'll see the edges. 

I also like to use a clear gel medium (intended to thin out acrylic paint) as a paste.   It goes on smooth but it can get a bit gunky on your fingers so I'd recommend latex gloves if you want to clean up quick and easy.

I paper machéd around the balloon in the shape of the headdress - high in the front, low in the back.  Then I checked it over for weak or thin spots and added more paper to those spots.  I'm pretty good about overlapping pieces of paper so I don't do more than one layer, but it's actually two layers of paper because of the overlapping.


I finished and let it dry overnight.  The next day, I popped the balloon and gently pulled it out.  This was a delicate process as the balloon stuck to the paper maché cap and sucked it in a bit as it deflated.  I just gently pulled the balloon out and popped out any dents.  No biggie.

I fit it on my head and marked where my ears sat.  Then I trimmed the cap all around like so.


Then I reenforced the edge by doing another layer of paper mache, folded over the edge.  I let that dry.

(I should probably say that if you don't have a wig head to hold your headpiece, you can blow up another balloon and tape it to a container.  That will work too.)

The trickiest part for me was building the horns.  Getting a nice curve is challenging and making sure the two horns are symmetrical is also a little challenging. 


I stated with plastic cup. (Those are the clear ones.)  I cut them down and angled them, and taped them in place.  Then a did a couple links of card stock that was rounded and curved into a ring.

Here's how I made the paper links.

1. I curved the card stock as if I was making a cone.   I fit the ring on top of the cup and got it to size.  Then I taped it.

2.  I trimmed the front part down like so. (It looks kinda like a pilgrim collar.)


3.  Here's a side view.  You want to have one long side (on the left) and one sort side (on the right.)  This is how I made the curves in the horns.


After I did the two rings of paper maché, I switched to paper dixie cups.  Then I did, like, six more sets of card stock rings.  It's important to fit these on top of the existing horns and then tape and cut and tape and cut until you get the right size, slowly building the height and curves of the horns.  I did both horns at the same time so I could match each piece and each angle and keep the horns even.  (It might take a little time to get used to this.  Just go slow and use your best judgement.)  Also, I only lightly taped these together.   The tape only holds the pieces in place long enough to paper maché.

After I had the horns shaped, I paper machéd them.  When that dried, I painted them black.


Because black hides a lot of flaws, I didn't have to be too careful that the horns were perfect.  If the horns were to be white or a lighter color, I would have had to be far more careful with the construction and smoothness of the paper maché.  Yay black!

I wanted the horns to have some shine to them.  I happened to have a little sample jar of Liquitex Texture Gels Black Lava, which I painted on top of the black.  Basically, I painted glitter on top.  It turned pretty well.  The little beads add a nice texture and they do catch the light.  If you don't want to bother finding that, just coat it with something shimmery, like a acrylic gloss or a glossy Modge Podge.

The end result is a very light headdress that fits like a glove.

The finishing touch is a long strip of black jersey fabric that I wrapped to hide my ears and cover my neck.  I wore this under the head piece, but you could also put the headpiece on first and wrap the fabric around and over top.

Violá!  A DIY Maleficent headdress ready to rock your Halloween!


Thanks so much for stopping in!

Julie

1 comment:

Leandra Wallace said...

So cool! You'll be the neatest Halloween mom out there. =D