Friday, September 19, 2014

DIY: Two-Tone Animal Rocks


Yes, yes, more rocks.  What can I say?  I'm into it.

While trolling around Pinterest I found some groovy rocks with vintage-y animals on them, but the thing that really appealed to me was that the rocks seemed to have been partially dipped in white paint before the animals were put on.  It was cool!  So I stole it!  :)

The key is to balance the white and black with the animal.  For example, the white tail of a bunny is going to work well against the dark tone of the rock.  So paint the only top of the bunny on the white.
If you think these are cool and want to make some yourself, I'm going to run through how I do it. BE WARNED:  this is DIY for someone who can paint an animal.  I don't do a step-by-step on how to paint a fox, so if you think you can't handle it, maybe go to Pinterest and find something more your speed.  

YOU'LL NEED:
A rock (You can buy river rocks at Michael's)
A computer and printer
pencil
paints (I used liquid acrylics)
brushes
thin black pen
clear nail polish

Step One.  Figure out what animal you want to do.  I went online and found some vintage clip art illustrations of animals and I picked the ones I liked.  I measured my rock - wich is about 2.25 inches wide, and made a tiny print of a fox.  (TO be more specific: I copied the image off the interest and pasted it into Photoshop.  Then I resized it to 2" wide.)

Then I painted half my rock white with white acrylic.  I needed several coats.


Step Two:  Flip your copy over and coat the back with pencil.  You're making old fashioned carbon paper, basically.


Step Three:  Flip it back over and place it on your rock.  Using a pencil, outline the animal directly on your copy (draw details like eye placement) onto the rock.  The pencil on the back will transfer off onto the rock - even the dark part of the rock.

Then go ahead and do a white coat of paint within your animal drawing on the dark part of the rock.


Step Four:  Paint your animal.  Again, I used liquid acrylic paints.  Make sure that you have dark parts against the white background and lighter parts against the dark.  (You can cheat a bit and make darker paws in back and lighter paws in front.  Use your judgement.)




Step Five:  When the paint is dry, take a small black pen and make slight details: eyes, little hairs, things like that.

Step Six:  When everything is dry, apply a clear coat of something varnish-like.  (I use clear nail polish.) Let that dry and you're all set!  Yay!  Enjoy your awesome painted rock!


Here's a close up of the toad...


 ...and of the sheep and rabbit, pre-varnish.


Have fun and have a great weekend!
Thanks for stopping in!


No comments: