Monday, September 15, 2014

Rocks, Rocks, Find the Rocks



I recently joined/helped form a group called the WeHa (West Hartford) Artists' Emporium.  It is the brainchild of my friend Stefanie Marco Lanz, who is a very talented artist, go-getter, and people person.  She knows so many artists living and working in West Hartford and thought it might be nice if we joined together as a group to promote our work.

Stefanie is FULL of great ideas on how to do this, starting with a Facebook Page where we can put our art for sale up - an online gallery.  We're also going to be marching in the Park Road Parade on October 18th. 

I had an idea to place painted and/or artistically enhanced rocks throughout West Hartford as a sort of freebie treasure hunt.  (I got the idea from a glass blower who places glass balls around Block Island for people to find.)

I don't know if it will take off, but I was inspired this weekend, so I painted a bunch of rocks for fun.  (All ideas were snatched off Pinterest.)


The first one I painted was a lizard (which is shown from above in the top, group shot, which is not the angle it should be shown from, but oh well.)  It came out OK.  The bird's nest was one of the latter rocks that I painted and I think it shows that I picked up a lot of tricks as I went on.


The frog was also one of the last ones I did.  I got better about picking a good size rock for the image I was painting and learning about the style that works best for me.

I copied the big owl directly off of Pinterest, but I did the small owl by myself.  I actually prefer the smaller one and if I were to keep painting owl rocks, I would just look at photos of real owls from this point on.  That said, I did a third owl that was a HOT MESS, so, yanno, sometimes they just don't work out.


I had a lot of fun painting these rocks and I even did a few more (see tomorrow's post.) I hope the WeHa Artists' Emporium is able to do this little treasure hunt.  I think it would be really fun for someone walking through town to discover a little unexpected treasure, don't you?

Thanks so much for stopping in!  Wishing you all a happy Monday!


1 comment:

R Hug-a-Bug said...

I love this idea! Wish there were random treasures in my town :-)