Sunday, November 9, 2014

Superior Children's Book Festival



I had the very great pleasure of speaking at the Superior Children's Book Festival in Saulte (pronounced Soo) Ste. Marie this Saturday.

This is a wonderful book festival put on by author/professor Janice Repka (The Stupendous Dodgeball Fiasco) and the good folks at Lake Superior State University.  They also brought in mega best-selling author Debbie Dadey of the Bailey School Kids series and Ruth McNally Barshaw of the Ellie McDoodle series.

I talked about my approach to creating picture books and was thrilled to have a lovely audience of both young and old.


Here's some of the young ones now.  See that kid in the headband?  Twenty years from now he'll be touring around with his own books!


I was pretty busy doing my own thing, but I got a chance to pop in and learn how Ruth McNally Barshaw approaches her illustrations.


It was a great, but busy day, so I hit the pillows early.  Debbie Dadey and I were on the same early Sunday morning (6:30am) flight to Detroit to catch our connections.

But the Sky Gods frowned upon us!    After clearing security we were all informed that the plane had some mechanical difficulties.  Because this is such a small town, they have no airplane mechanic. They also had no other airlines or flights.  We were told there was a possibility that we would not be able to leave that day at all.  ACK!  Despair!

Eventually, they located a mechanic.  Yay!  He arrived around 8:45.  (See there he is reaching in the plane while standing on a chair.  Ah, technology.)


By 10:15, Debbie Dadey and I were back on the plane with our fingers crossed that we would get to Detroit.


We did!  Double Yay!

As I write this, Debbie is on her flight home.  I have another two hours to wait until mine, but I don't care.  I'll be home tonight so I am a happy camper!

BIG THANKS to Janice Repka and everyone who put the festival together and fed me and drove me around.  I had a great time and you gave a great festival to the kids!

No comments: