Friday, January 9, 2015

Adventures in Printmaking: Winter Tree


Because I liked how Magoo's collagraph armadillo turned out, I thought I would try one too.  One thing I didn't dig on his was the background color.  It came out kinda sparse. I figured if I printed the color separately, then I could just ink the collagraph in black and print it on top.  Win-win.

I made a tree design - with glue - on mat board (If you want to learn more about making glue collagraphs, go here) and I cut a piece of foam the same size.  I then applied water-base printing ink with a paintbrush to the foam and pulled some prints.


I did 7 or 8 of them.


Then I inked my tree and made a print.
Pretty freakin' awful.


I'm not sure why this one was so much worse than Magoo's.  I used a different glue.  (He used Elmer's) And I have a slightly lighter touch.  But I think that was part of the problem.  The lines were too think.  Anyway - what a disappointment.

So I got to thinking, Hmmmmm, what can I do now?

I had more foam, so I redid the design in with a flat sheet of foam.


I cut all the negative space out with an X-acto knife and made some wood patterns with a little wooden pointy stylus.

Here it is inked.


This worked out much better.


I'm not saying this is a brilliant print or anything, but I think it's a good enough beginning.

I ordered a book on carving wood block prints and that arrived and didn't really inspire me.  I'm currently on the fence.  I constantly see prints that I love on Pinterest and I want so badly to be able to make my own, but I also know that printmaking is a whole other ball of wax from what I'm used to.  One part of me is always saying, Why don't you just focus on what you're good at, while the other says, It's good to learn new things, while a third me chimes in, Let's eat pretzels and watch TV.  I try not to listen to that third voice too often, but when something is new and challenging, Inner Voice #3 gets pretty loud.

But that's it.  That's my start. 
Will I continue?  
Who knows!



No comments: