Saturday, July 18, 2015

Art Camp Week 2: Picture Book Party


 I was excited about Week 2 because it was a new theme.  (And it was my idea.)  I have SO MANY picture books and the illustration within them is so vast and awesome - I just wanted to do something with it.  And, of course, the fact that I write and illustrate picture books didn't hurt either.

We started the week off with The Simples Love a Picnic and the collage picnic ant project that I do at schools.  It was nice for me to start with something non-messy and something I've done many times before - although, to be fair, these kids are at the young end of the school spectrum.  Some of them will be going into Kindergarten in the fall.

All the kids loved Oliver Jeffer's The Incredible Book Eating Boy and had a great time making their own book eating children.


Mid-week, we busted out the watercolors and painted flying fish to go with the classic picture book Fish Is Fish by Leo Lionni.  (Lionni was one of my favorites growing up.)


 On Thursday, I read Klimt and His Cat by Berenice Capatti and I introduced the campers to Gustav Klimt, but I forgot my Klimt book!  D'oh!  It was OK because there were tons of pictures of his most famous works within the book.  Then we painted gold cats and decorated them with dots and rectangles of colors.


The final day was The Grouchy Ladybug day.  (An Eric Carle book.)  Of course the campers were all very familiar with Eric Carle.  I think they all had one or more of his books at home.  I had originally planned to have the campers paint one sheet of paper (to be used in the collage) each day as a warm-up, just like Eric Carle does.  But there were a lot of little ones in this group.  I didn't think they could the abstract nature of just painting a piece of paper without having clear instructions.

We did, however, manage to get one piece of paper painted after the Fish Is Fish project, and I did the rest.  Then on Friday, we put them altogether.


It was a big project, but they really did a fabulous job with it.


I had a great time at the Picture Book Party!  Next week: Asian Exploration!

Hope you're all having a great summer!
Thanks for stopping in!


1 comment:

Becky Shillington said...

These are wonderful, Julie! It looks like the kids are having an incredible time, and I love their creations!