Monday, August 31, 2015

Back to School/Back to Work



Last Wednesday, Magoo headed off to 7th grade!  Woo hoo!

He was ready to go back.  He is a boy that does well with structure - and try as I might - it's hard to put a lot of structure into a hot summer.  Don't get me wrong, he likes plenty of lazy time too, but he was ready to get back into some academic challenges, see his school friends, and get into a routine.

After three days, all is well.  He has a new bus driver. (The last one was like Otto from the Simpsons and that bus was crazy and always late.)  He seems to like his teachers so far, and he has his group of buddies that he sits with at lunch.  He's happy, so I'm happy.

I'm also happy that I can get back into a little work myself.






I wish I had an easier process of working through my picture book stories.  You should see the amount of sketch and dummy book work I do.  I may start out with writing, but until I start laying out the pages and fitting it into a 32-page book, I can't really make it work.  Then, when I do fit things in, I see what I have time for and what I don't.  Then, I start to see issues that I couldn't see before, so I have to re-draw.  It basically goes like this: draw it out, see a problem, think of a solution, draw it out.  Repeat.  Lots.

There doesn't appear to be a short-cut that saves me hours of drawing, but I'm happy to have the quiet and the time to do it.

What I'm not happy about is the heat.  Another 4-day heat way!  Whaaaaaat?  Whyyyyyyyy?
I love 65-80 degrees.  Give me endless Autumns and Springs.   Or central air.  Someday, maybe, I'll have central air and then I can enjoy staying cool inside all summer long.  Until then, my poor husband has to hear my whine about another 4-day heat wave.  Waaaaah.

The other thing that's got me a little stressed out these days is our poor kitty, Java.



She was fine Friday morning, but she didn't come for dinner on Friday evening which isn't like her at all.  She turned up in the basement, completely spooked, and was under my bed for the rest of the evening.  Basically, when she hasn't come out for a brief moment to eat, she's hiding somewhere.  Last night, my husband and I were happy to see her go outside.  She seemed calm enough, but then she didn't come back in after dark.  Mike found her hiding under the back porch where we couldn't get to her.  We were more than a little concerned about that.

But this morning she woke me up at 5:30 to come in and eat and now she's hiding out in the studio.

She seems to be moving around OK, and she's eating, so we don't know what the heck is wrong with her.  She may be having some kind of anxiety attack.  I'm not inclined to take her to the vet unless I absolutely have to, because getting into the carrier, riding in the car, and being examined is torture to her.  If it is anxiety, a trip to the vet will only make it worse. 

So we're riding it out and hoping she'll calm down and perk up.

And that's what's going on here.
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Hope all is well with you!



1 comment:

shirley said...

Oh, poor Java. I hope she feels better soon.

Happy back-to-school/work. And I hear you on this @#$%in' weather.