Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Swim Kid/Swim Mom

Magoo had his first official swim meet for the West Hartford Waves this past Sunday.  We'd done mini meets with his Stroke & Fitness class, which was a great intro, but the legit swim meet is a bigger beast.


For one thing, they're longer.  I'm talking 4 hours. For another, there are WAY MORE KIDS.
There were 68 swim events and Magoo swam in only four.   There's just that many kids - they get spread out.  But, in the four he swam in, he did great!


(Above) here he is getting ready to dive (he's the one already in position.)  (Below) Doing the breast stroke.


His father and I couldn't be more proud of him for getting out there and kicking tail.  Go Magoo!

In swim, as in most child activities, the parents are put to work.  I was a timer for the time trials a few weeks ago.  On Sunday, I volunteered to be a runner.  OH BOY - that was a job!  It seemed simple enough: after each race collect the time cards from each lane and take them to the main table.

What they don't tell you is that the floors are wet and slippery, the place is mobbed with kids you have to maneuver around, some timers won't be ready for you, others will ask you to get them things, and that each race happens very, very quickly when you have to run back and forth and back and forth.

The first half of the meet might have taken forever to my husband sitting in the stands, but I was sweating my tush off running back and forth on the pool deck!  That said, I liked having a job.  I think I'll just aim for back-up timer next time.

Hope all is well in your part of the world.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Thanks so much for stopping in!