Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Busy Week


Hiya!  It's been a very busy week.  Let me tell you all about it!

Last week we had a snow day and a delay - so that put me back on a book project I've been working on.  It's in the final stages of text revision and I really need time alone and quiet to read the text out loud over and over again.

I am also trying to decide on how I'm going to illustrate it.  When I change styles, it always takes some time.  I can see so many potential ways to do the illustrations, it's a bit like having too many choices in the ice cream shop.  They all look so good!  So I'm zeroing down on that process.

I also had a school visit on Thursday.  This was part 2 of a two-day visit.  Day 1 was in December, when I talked to a group of first graders about personal narrative stories.  The kids had their winter break to work on their stories and now they are ready to illustrate.  So Thursday's visit was about illustration, composition, style, consistency, and expressions!

(Above) Some classes did collage self-portraits for their covers.  This was the first time I had ever taught kids to collage self portraits.  All went well until we got to hair.  Everyone has a different hairstyle.  There was no way to do a "unified hair lesson," so I spent a lot of time helping each kid individually on their hair.

(Below) Another class drew their illustrations, so I worked with them on how to make certain expressions.  Here's my "Serious" expression.



Sunday, Valentine's Day, was Magoo's Swim Championship.


Mike and I foolishly thought this might be a shorter event.  We thought Magoo was only swimming in two events and then we could boogy out of there.  But no.  As always, Magoo was in the final event - a relay.  So we arrived at the freezing cold pool arena a little early at 11:30 am and left at the end, 4:30 pm.

Happy Valentine's Day to you, my butt.  Enjoy sitting on this hard wood bench for 5 hours.


But we are so very proud of Magoo!  One, we are proud that he did a team sport this year.  Two, we are proud that he made it through the entire season.  Three, we are proud that he rocked it!  (Above) Here he is the 100 yd Freestyle.

Now we are on Day 2 of February Break.  Magoo just made apple scones, so our house smells sweet and later we're seeing Zoolander 2.

Wishing you a lovely Tuesday!
Thanks so much for stopping in.


No comments: