Monday, June 13, 2016

Recent Works

Bowl of Pears                      2016                       j. c. phillipps

Hi there.

June is kinda a crazy busy month for me.  School is out.  (Magoo, I am proud to report, got straight A's all year long.)  Lots of birthdays.  My art is up at a restaurant called The Spicy Green Bean in Glastonbury.  And I'm preparing for summer art camp at the end of June.

But I have had a little time to work on some art.  The piece above, Bowl of Pears,  is a watercolor that I recently completed.  I am trying to do smaller watercolors, as I have had a difficult time selling the larger ones.  Also, if the original artwork is smaller, it will fit in my scanner, and I can get a better reproduction for prints and cards.

The work below was done for a specific show at the West Hartford Art League in the Fall.  All pieces have to be 24" X 24" and self-portraits.

Julie with Poppies                 2016                   j. c. phillipps
I thought for awhile of what direction I should go with it.  It's unlikely a self-portrait will sell.  And 24" X 24" is not tiny, so this was either going to live in my basement or I had to come up with something I wouldn't mind having around.  I played with a few ideas, but I settled on the collage mosaic because #1. I have the paper.  #2. I love mosaics.  #3 It's just stylized enough for it not to matter a whole bunch if it's an awesome depiction of me.

It went faster than I thought it would and I enjoyed making it more than I thought I would.  But, as a 44 year old woman, hunching over to place tiny squares of paper on a canvas is not easy on my back. I don't think there will be too many of these in my future.  Still, I like how it turned out.

Did you see the Tonys?  Go Hamilton!
My heart and love goes out to Orlando.
Hope you all are well.
Thank you for stopping by.
Love is love is love is love.


3 comments:

shirley said...

Both pieces are beautiful. I enjoyed reading about the thoughts that went into the process, for both.

Great job, C, on those straight As!

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie!
Brazillian greetings!
I know I was absent for some long time, but I came back!
Beautiful works, I loved the perls.
I got some interest in watercolor.
I hope you can sell your original artworks.
Thanks for sharing it!

Garima said...

Great!