Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pre-Show Prep

Hi all!   It's a busy, busy time right now.  Open Studio Hartford is November 12-13.  Finders Keepers starts December 1st.  And there's a WeHa Artists' Emporium Pop-Up Show on Dec. 10 - 11th.  All of this means there's a lot to organize, prep, package, make signs for, write press releases for, and a whole bunch of other things.

Here's a peek at some of the art I've been working on for these events.

Bear Rocks                  2016                   j.c.phillipps
 Bears!  There have been a lot of bear sightings in West Hartford this past year.  They seem to be coming in off the mountain a little more.  They've inspired me.  I've made a series of bear rocks, and I just started a series of collages called Bear Sightings where bears have wandered into town and they're just sorta living an everyday life.  (Below) This one is my favorite so far, Bear Sighting: Pool.

Bear Sighting: Pool              2016               j.c. phillipps

I have been bagging card sets and prints.


And I made a bunch of softies.  I made the usual characters from my books (Wink, Monkey Ono, Dizzy and Rocco), but this year I expanded and just started making whatever I wanted.  I made some teddy bears, a sloth, a sheep, a snail, a robber, a fox.  They're not cost effective by any stretch of the imagination but they're fun!

Various Softies                                 j. c. phillipps

This year I'm trying something new.  I was playing with my art gum eraser one day and molding it into faces and I thought, These look kinda cool.  So I bought some small canvases (3" x 3") and made a bunch of tiny clay faces.  I glued them onto the canvas, painted them, then added a protective gloss coating.  I think they're kinda cool.  We'll see if they sell though.  Sometimes my experiments can't find homes.  They're the lonely orphans of my imagination.


In addition to all of this, I am actively looking for a new literary agent and submitting some picture book projects to publishers that do not require an agent to submit. There's a ton of research and prep that goes into every one of those submissions.

So, I'm keeping pretty busy these days. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!
I hope you're all enjoying Autumn.  It's my favorite month and the colors up here are glorious!

Best,

No comments: