Friday, March 24, 2017

PBJ: Fan Mail, A Perk of the Job


I don't always get fan mail, but when I do, it's a real treat.  Some kids draw excellent pictures, like the one of me doing a presentation, above.  Some write cards or letters.   Sometimes there is clearly a form that the teachers have written on the board, but sometimes the kids just write whatever they want.  Those are the best!  I mean, they're all great.  It's so nice that teachers and students take the time out of their day to thank me, but when a kid can just tell me whatever they want, it's usually pretty fun.

I just did an author visit in Colchester, CT.  About a week later, I got a big, fat envelope in the mail. Inside was a big packet of joy.  I'll share some of my favorites.

Above.  I really like this drawing because the artist captured something that a lot of kids don't, my short hair.  In many drawings like this, they will see me and draw a symbol of a woman, which usually includes long hair.  This artist paid attention to detail.  I also find it interesting that I have mere sticks for legs, but there is detail in the microphone.

Below.  The Flying Ninja.  My publisher does not want a third ninja book, but if they did, don't you think Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to Fly would be pretty darn cool?  I do!


This note is hilarious to me.  At first I did a "good" job, but apparently "good" was not the right word.  No, no.  It was better than good.  I did a God job!  Oh yeah!  Thank you.


And this one might be my favorite.


The last line reads (I'll translate to adult) You are soooooo cool that I convinced my sister to like you.

That's pretty great, right?  I mean, if there is one thing that I am not, it's cool.
I'm a super dork.  But in this job, I can be a total dweeb and my target audience thinks
I'm so cool that they are urging their family members to also think I am cool.
Nice!

Big thanks to Colchester Elementary School!  You guys rock!  And I loved the fan mail.

Thanks for stopping by.  I just finished revisions on my latest picture book project and it's going back out to editors next week.  Fingers crossed for a book deal!

Have a great weekend!




No comments: