Friday, March 31, 2017

PBJ: Working for Free


Yesterday I spent my morning at a local elementary school's career day.  This was not my son's school and I wasn't getting paid, but I did it anyway because sometimes it's good to work for free.

There are actually some different thoughts on this.  Some would argue that when you give your services for free - whether it's an author visit or art - then people learn not to value what you have to offer.  It's kinda sad - but it is actually true.  People will believe that if you give them something for free, then what you're giving them isn't worth anything.

But there are exceptions.

My first year of author visits were free.  I was new to it.  I was learning.  To me, I was giving something to the schools, but they were giving me experience.  And I learned a lot from it.

This particular school has had me in for, like, three years running for paid visits to the first grade.  So when they asked me to come in for career day, I said yes because they have been very good to me.  I want these clients to be happy.  They are not trying to take advantage of me, they just want to offer a cool career day to their students and I have a cool job.

Plus, it's good to give back.

(Above.)  I brought in one of the original illustrations from Wink so the students could see how it compared to the printed image.  Kids always get a kick out of feeling the textures of the collage work.  If they had been tiny children, I would have left the plastic on the illo, but these were fifth graders.  They handled themselves just fine.

Thanks so much for stopping in.  It's a rainy, dreary Friday, but I bought some Girl Scout cookies, so all is right in my belly.

Have a great weekend!


No comments: