Friday, May 12, 2017

PBJ: Follow Through


I like new projects.

It's fun to get a new idea and start developing it.  It's like buying a package of seeds from the store.  You plant them in fresh soil.  Maybe even in a pretty new pot.  And it's your baby.  You water it and love it and bring it to life.

That's a first draft.  First drafts are great!  It's 100% creativity and 0% editing.  (I should be specific when I say that I am speaking of picture book first drafts.  I imagine that those who write novels edit a lot while they are working on their first draft.)  But not picture books.   Picture book first drafts are all love and ideas!  They are the thrill of when sprouts first pokes up out of the soil.  But it is only for a fleeting moment.  Because then you have to show people your story, get notes, and rewrite.  And rewrite.  And rewrite.

The revision process is more like keeping a garden up.  The weeding!  Therefore, if I have a story that has taken me some time and I still can't get it just right, I tend to put it away.

Sometimes it's the best thing you can do.  Some stories need to rest in the soil like a perennial.  But then the tricky thing is to come back to that story  - and water it, and prune it and love it - instead of working on an exciting new idea.  That's what I'm doing now.  I'm pruning.





I have several stories that I have been working on for years now.  And they are soooooo close.  So, instead of starting fresh, I have pulled out a story that has been oddly difficult for me to nail down.  It's nearly wordless, so the story has to be very simple and very clear.  It's all art, so I can't explain anything.  It's super visual.

About 5 months ago (after already working on it for years and putting it away), I submitted a new revision to my crit group and got a ton of wonderful notes, but at the time, my heart just wasn't in it.  So two days ago, I was finally ready to pull my "gardening gloves" out and do some weeding.  I printed up the notes.  Pulled out my dummy pages.  Wrote all the notes out on post-its and put them on the corresponding illustrations.  And now I am slowly and diligently working through the story page-by-page.

I must admit it feels good to get back into it.  I love this story so much and, if given a chance, it could be a lovely book.  But first, I have to do my part.  So I am following through.

Thanks so much for stopping in.
Wishing you a lovely weekend and a very Happy Mother's Day to the moms out there.

1 comment:

JET said...

Can I pre-order now?!